@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New fuel tank

+3
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Liberty
Oundlefreeman
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New fuel tank - Page 2 Empty Re: New fuel tank

Post by Liberty Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:12 pm

BUT....   the real problem here is that the vent pipe is leaking where it is attached to the tank......

A flat flange on a curved tank with a lump of cork MAY just be a BSS pass, but in my book that is not a very well engineered solution. Whoever converted this tank wants locking up!!

Ideally the vent pipe wants to be attached to a welded spigot on the tank so there is no chance of leakage.

This cork gasket and flange are not Freeman original.....
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Oundlefreeman Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 am

Liberty wrote:BUT....   the real problem here is that the vent pipe is leaking where it is attached to the tank......

A flat flange on a curved tank with a lump of cork MAY just be a BSS pass, but in my book that is not a very well engineered solution. Whoever converted this tank wants locking up!!

Ideally the vent pipe wants to be attached to a welded spigot on the tank so there is no chance of leakage.

This cork gasket and flange are not Freeman original.....

Totally agree TBH. I would like this issue solved regardless of whether it will pass the BSS or not. 

Does anyone in the Peterborough/Oundle/East Northants area know of a professional who would do this?

Tom

Oundlefreeman
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 am

If it's a standard tank requirement it may be easier ,even cheaper to buy a second hand one. I know someone on eBay was selling one not so long back.
To weld a new spigot to an existing tank would entail completely purging the tank to prevent an explosion during welding which l believe can be a problem ?
Just a thought ..... Could you swap it with the water tank if that's not been bodged too ( it would need a top feed though)
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:30 pm

I would have thought the tank was very dangerous being metal and leaking I know that many on here do not agree with me but I have checked with the examiner  and they are legal is to buy an internal marine plastic tank much safer and already 
cut out for sender etc  easier, in the long run, I would have thought and cheaper
ps here is an example they come in various sizes
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

http://bigscale@btibternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:51 am

I would be very cautious about buying a plastic petrol tank. 

To comply with BSS it must be "CE" marked, which isn't too hard to achieve, but many examiners would argue that a Freeman 22/23 petrol tank is effectively in the engine bay so it must also be Intrinsically fire resistant to 600˚C for 2.5 minutes..... a bigger challenge....

You will also have to do some hacking about with the mountings.....  fitting a rectangular tank into mountings created for a cylinder is going to take some major surgery.  BSS again requires fuel tanks to be fixed in solid.

I like the idea of modifying the water tank.....
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Personally, I’d unbolt the existing fitting and replace the cork with a sheet of Viton Rubber, good enough for aircraft, so good enough for a boat, even the most stringent examiner would have a tough job saying it’s not up to it Wink
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm

I cannot say I agree with you Liberty point one 99% of outboards have a marine plastic tank sold in a 100% of marinas it looks to me the picture of his tank is held by a metal strap the tank I highlighted says internal fuel tank as I have already statted the EA Great Ouse river authority  BSS examiner HAS SAID THEY ARE COMPLIANT  most of the fuel tanks I have seen with outboards are in close proximity to the fuel ie two to three-foot away  if they were as dangerous as you are implying I would have thought they would be banned just an observation 
I also cannot see the fitting problem giving the amount os space in the fuel tank area but at the end of the day you make your choice and go ahead I hope he achieves satisfactory conclusion
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

http://bigscale@btibternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:11 pm

The thing with an outboard is that it’s not considered a permanent installation John. Many owners take the tank to refill it. Also the engine is hanging off the back of the boat, so certainly can’t be considered to be in the same space as the tank
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2