@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration

+8
thomas winner
Dave Abbott
Russ
Liberty
sneddie
Dermot
Prof Pat Pending
mleyden
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration Empty Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration

Post by mleyden Sat May 23, 2015 5:04 pm

1978 Freeman 33 Sport, 2 x Ford Sabre 120hp (Ford 2715e 6.2lt diesels), 6 berth with 2 x toilets. Can do about 17 / 18 knts but uses approx. 10 Gallons an hour in the process! Had it now for 4 years, was in need of TLC and have been (slowly) working my way through the list of things that need doing. Mechanically (touch would) in pretty good nick!

Nearly there! Replaced all the opening windows (as most were cracked or had milky laminate), had the packing done on the shafts as they leaked badly last season, and put on some new anti-fouling...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Freemans are quite unique in that the engines are nearly under the deck, giving very wide spacing between the shafts. Great for driving like a tank / caterpillar, not so good when you only have one engine working!

Will show interior photos once I have cleaned up!

Mark.

Last edited by mleyden on Sat May 23, 2015 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration Empty Re: Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration

Post by mleyden Sat May 23, 2015 5:10 pm

I believe it was on the Thames at one stage in life, but is now on Lough Derg, Ireland. Would be interested if anyone knows anything about the history of it... The name appears to be the original? No idea of the name origin... (a bit of a mouthful)
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration Empty Re: Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sat May 23, 2015 11:34 pm

Very nice
I do like the 33 sport.....a lot Smile
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Dermot Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Very nice design.

Dermot
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Like Pat I really do like the 33 Sport. We regularly see one called Drum Beat when we are on the Thames that is just wonderful. No point having the big Sabre engines, just as well with those fuel costs at speed!

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Drum Beat is a bit special, one of the few 33's that can get under Osney Bridge iirc
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Another huge plus for me! It really is something special.

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 pm

And me...and Ken.
If any of them come up for sale I can see them having no trouble at all selling
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 am

Prof Pat Pending wrote:Drum Beat is a bit special, one of the few 33's that can get under Osney Bridge iirc

Is that one of the few that was fitted with small engines for Thames use only?
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:04 am

It is, there are two of them, Four Ferrets is the other iirc
But there's also a normal 33 sport that been converted to go under Osney
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Mark,
             sorry to reply on this link but somehow I lost the link to your question about the roof of my F33 Sport and the gas lid.
Anyway I've taken some pictures of the roof laying down on the floor of the wheelhouse but I'm not sure if they are any good as my roof has sun windows in it and also not sure what you want to see. It seems I can only post 2 at a time so I'll add to them after this.
Also I said that the lid to my gas container had hinges but it doesn't ..see further pic.

On a different topic I have a slow leak noticed in the bilges of both sides and I'm guessing that the gland packing needs replacing as it probably hasn't had it done in many years. You said that you have done it so is it a simple task or would I have to get a more engineering minded person involved. I don't have that much marine experience at the moment which is why I got a boat like this....to learn.
Windows is another thing I'll need to redo as have lots of leaks on the starboard side of the wheelhouse.
More pics to come and let me know if you need anything different.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:36 pm

The underneath of the cover for the gas bottle hatch.
Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by mleyden Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks Russ... it looks like your sunroofs are later additions, as the originals would have been Weathershield vinyl car sunroofs (which leaked like sieves!). I imagine the vinyl interior covering was replaced with the sunroofs also.
I was thinking of making a pod for my VHF just like yours, so glad to see i'm not the only one.
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by mleyden Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:01 pm

So my gas locker is missing the metal strips, which I assumed were some sort of hinge... I also am missing the lock, but Sheridan sell this - and you can use the square 'T' handle to open it (the same as used to keep the side panels in the cockpit).
The problem is the gas locker lid leaks, and my metal gas container rusted through. It was quite a job to replace it!

Thanks for the pictures, I'll bo doubt be in touch to ask for comparisons in the future!
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by mleyden Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:04 pm

As to gland packing... I ended up getting someone to do it for me. Mine are a total pain in the neck to get at. The right one is buried under a locker, and the left one under the rear toilet. He had to remove the toilet to get at it!

He said to me afterwards - 'I know why you asked me to do it!'

It was worth every penny!

Again, Sheridans will sell you the correct packing kit.

I also installed remote greasers as I had remote grease nipples under the rear steps, which I found a complete pain. I bought 2 x bronze greasers from ASAP.
I also installed 3 x Whale auto bilge pumps, as we have 3 separate bilges (left engine, central and right engine).

Glad to say, my bilges are bone dry now! First time in a long time, and I read somewhere that Osmosis can occur quicker with constantly wet bilges...
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:46 pm

My 32 has a similar gas locker lid, the strips are just to locate it so it will lock.  I'm not sure they were ever intended to be water tight.  I put some neoprene rubber strip round mine, but when ever I open it there is heaps of condensation in it.....  Just make sure it is draining well and let the air circulate.

My gland packings are as bad... under the wardrobe floor and in a cupboard.  One you can hardly even see!!!  I'm thinking of replacing them with PSS seals or Volvo/Radice if there is one to fit.  As I need to replace the rear bulkhead for the aft cabin as it is rotten.

Previous owner fitted a nice set of 3 pumps and switches.  Theres a lot of drips and dribbles end up back there.

I made a little pod for my new VHF and held it up with some cunning panel fixings so I can take it off in the winter and store in the warm and dry.

Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 am

re- gland packing.
Well I was at my boat at the weekend examining it as to how to get to the area for gland packing and I'm non the wiser.
Mleyden (what's your first name?) did you take any pictures when yours were done they would be very helpful if you did. Where abouts is the shaft log assy? I'm hoping its entry is after the fuel tanks as that would make a major job uber major and very expensive if I had to remove the fuel tanks as well.
Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 am

I'm not too familiar with the rear cabins on 33's. But I imagine the stern glands will be in the bottom of a cupboard, under a panel/floor, or under the side bunks if a twin bed arrangement.
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by mleyden Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Left gland is under the floor in the rear toilet. Small hatch in the floor. Right one is under the closet on the right. Looking into the bilges from the cockpit, you should be able to see the right one fairly easily (more space on that side). But it would be impossible to access from there, so you need to go under the rear closet floor. Might need to pull up the carpet?

Mark
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 pm

Cheers Mark.
Gonna have another look this weekend.
Jeez aint boating fun. Cant wait for the spring when I'm going to replace all windows in the cockpit to stop the damn leaks   
lol!
Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by mleyden Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:33 pm

I have a lot of leaks in all my windows. Pretty sure it is happening at the frame joins, and not the glass. So have a look at those. I think you have later Windows that me though...
mleyden
mleyden
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Russ wrote:Cheers Mark.
Gonna have another look this weekend.
Jeez aint boating fun. Cant wait for the spring when I'm going to replace all windows in the cockpit to stop the damn leaks   
lol!
My first stop would be Anglia Auto Vents.......  A top job...... 100% no leaks - guaranteed.

[list=0ahUKEwj998Sz6b3JAhXHNxQKHQjqDekQ_xcIbg]
The Old Police House, Stow Rd, Spaldwick, Huntingdon PE28 0TEPhone:01480 891591[/list]
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Freeman 33 Sport - Mutual Admiration Empty Beautiful!

Post by Dave Abbott Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Very nice indeed.
Dave

Dave Abbott
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi and Happy New Year all.
Found out where the glands are now.
Thanks Mark they were where you said under nice little access covers. 1st image is the starboard side and 2nd is the port. Looks like I'll have to do a bit of dismantling of the closet to get full access to the l.h.s.
Question is can the gland packing be done whilst in the water or will I have to bring it out.
Russ
Russ
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next