@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.

+8
Chickadee
Simritdave
Chris Meyer
Prof Pat Pending
RichK
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Dermot
Liberty
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.  Empty Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.

Post by Liberty Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 pm

As mentioned before I may or may not make it to the Broads meet. This topic will serve as the blog of me trying. Feel free to chip in!

It's Monday evening (20th) and after 2 days hard graft I'm finally ready to set off in the morning. The first challenge is St Neots lock one mile down river. Recently out of action and only operable by the EA. it opens at 10am. I'll be waiting!!

I'm running Boat Logger if you search on the web you can follow my every move if I've set it up correctly. Photos on Facebook freeman site because it's hard work on here with a phone!
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.  Empty Re: Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.

Post by Dermot Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Good luck!

Dermot
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.  Empty Re: Liberty's trip to the Broads meet.

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 am

Deano, hope you make it ! We are taking the "chicken out" option and coming by car. Look forward to seeing you and Liberty  sailing

Derek and Jo with Jim and Katherine Wills (hopefully)
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:35 am

You are coming up on the Boat Logger map Deano, it also shows a Ford Fiesta near the M5 Laughing
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:03 am

I should be OK to avoid that, I don't plan on using the M5. I'll stick to the back roads!!Very Happy

Tuesday morning update.....  Breakfast done, last shower before Wells undertaken. Just got to finish my cup of freshly brewed coffee, top up the fresh water and I'll be ready for the lock at 10am.  I don't want to overdo the fresh water as with a full load of fuel and 60 litres on board in cans topped off with an equal volume of beer, Liberty is sitting quite low in the water.  The Old West river has some shallow patches..... if all else fails, I can drink the beer and give away the diesel.....
God speed..... we are on our way.....

#StNeotsToSalhouseOrBust
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

Safe trip Deano, looking forward to seeing you at the meet
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Meyer Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:52 am

Have a good trip Deano, did you get the steering sorted out, I watched a video recently where she seemed to, unaccountably, describe a full 360, or was that under control Very Happy

Chris Meyer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:42 pm

He's on the move....no sign of any 360's, or perhaps the resolution doesn't go that high Smile
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Good site, shows him just left Jones boatyard and turned right onto the Ouse.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Is he nearly there yet?
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Simritdave Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:40 pm

It's as close to boating I'm going to get for a while, good watching your progress Deano, keep it up.  I notice from the average speeds you're on econocruise Cool
My chart shows you shy of Ely, yet the text suggests you have left Ely, which is right?
Simritdave
Simritdave
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Meyer Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Just got back from youngest daughters leavers assembly, where 45, 11 year olds recited their memories of primary school, so I'm not even slightly jealous of Deano cruising and boozing for 2 weeks Sad

Chris Meyer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Simritdave wrote:It's as close to boating I'm going to get for a while, good watching your progress Deano, keep it up.  I notice from the average speeds you're on econocruise Cool
My chart shows you shy of Ely, yet the text suggests you have left Ely, which is right?
I'm guessing that the map is live. 
Cambridge to Ely is the leg he is on
Ely to **** is the next leg, with the next waypoint to be added

but it's just a guess sailing
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:50 pm

So ... I left St Neots at 9:30am.  There was no band on the quay side so I put John Williams "Summon the Heroes" on the iPod at full blast as I left the marina.  Got to keep the spirits up.
The route was north from St Neots, up to Huntingdon where the river bends to the east. Then on to St Ives where I took on some considerable quantities of diesel. The transom was down to the top edge of the antifoul.  From St Ives to Hermitage lock where the river becomes the Old West river. This is a narrow, shallow muudy ditch only negotiable at 3mph.... one engine it is then.  Eventually I popped out of the Old West and onto the Ely Ouse where a bit of pace was achieved.  Thankfully, even with all the fuel and beer, she will still plane!!!!
It was just after 9:30pm when I moored in Ely.
32 nautical miles covered according to the whirly log. All but one lock now behind me.  A long day cruising and a lot of locks to push and wind.  Big wide open rivers tomorrow aiming for Denver Sluice.
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Lets hope the weather plays ball.
I'm off for a pint at the Cutter Inn!!!
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Well deserved it is as well, look forward to tomorrows leg Smile
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:31 am

A late start today....

Either the beer in the Cutter Inn was very good, or Deano forgot to switch his tracking app back on
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Meyer Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:35 pm

For shame, suggesting it could be alcohol related, it occurs to me that the departure may have been to do with tidal levels at denver sluice rather than any over indulgence splash

Chris Meyer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Chris Meyer wrote:For shame, suggesting it could be alcohol related, it occurs to me that the departure may have been to do with tidal levels at denver sluice rather than any over indulgence splash

Looks like you were right....he's off Smile
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Proper boating eh ! Not ditch crawling like us "Broadites", give him a cheer, he deserves it. 

Good luck on the salty stuff Deano, will inspect the salt encrustation on the 1st.
No chance of a brass band at t'other end either Captain
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Go on Derek, I'm sure that you could do a bit of this to mark his arrival

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Late start from Ely. Had to do some shopping and stuff. Only 2 hours cruising today and didn't want to arrive too early at Denver. The only thing more unusual than 3G around here are the people!!!
The plan is to lock out of Denver tomorrow just before high tide at 12:30pm. This should see me into Wells at about 9:30pm. It's not that far, but you have to wait for the tide to come back in before you can enter Wells.
Hopefully the Boat Logger worked for today. Of course it needs mobile internet to upload. It caches data until it connects. Free wifi at the pub but only for 1 hour. I don't know what happens after that.
Saw a Freeman 30 and a 33 in Jhones marina yesterday. I think the 30 is from the Broads. Kahawi?? Although there was no name on it.
Perhaps more later. Just need an up to date wind forecast to confirm go/no go in the morning.
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:56 am

It's a go from Denver. Max wind speeds on the coast are 11 knots. That is on the edge of uncomfortable but what the hell! Locking out at noon. Then it's 16 miles down a nasty tidal river to Kings Lynn. Then out to sea. Must remember to turn right at the end of the Wash!
I'll have Boat Ligger running but you should be able to search for me on Marine Traffic. I have AIS fitted and running too. Just search Liberty.
Hope to see you all soon.
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:15 am

Sound like fun Smile
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:27 am

Prof Pat Pending wrote:Sound like fun Smile
And good luck.........if  luck comes into it ! 
Remember coastguard ....C16 Titanic
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:18 pm

I'm a fully paid up member of the RNLI too.
Just passing Kings Lynn now!!
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next