@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freeman Forum - Thames meet

+8
Chris Meyer
Admin
AstonLady
Simritdave
sneddie
RichK
Liberty
Prof Pat Pending
12 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Freeman Forum - Thames meet - Page 3 Empty Re: Freeman Forum - Thames meet

Post by Prof Pat Pending Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:20 pm

If your boat isn't on the Thames, but you would still like to bring her along then please remember Tony Tugboats kind offer of transport at cost for the event Smile

As Ken has said there is a slipway at Reading, and there are also slipways at Benson and Abingdon. I suspect Tony would be happy to advise you on which slipway best suits your needs if you fancy a bit of a Thames tour while you are here Smile

EDIT ~ Tony commented via facebook that benson is the closest, and he can probably help to arrange parking

Freeman 23 Anne is now sold [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by ken cattell Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:41 pm

THAMES MEET UPDATE #1.
Just strimmed out 5 bankside moorings at South Stoke (opposite Sheriden Marine), 6 if we are intimate.
The moorings are 4 minutes walk upriver from the small slipway/car park area in South Stoke. (Ferrry road through the village at the end follow sign stating "To the river". When your feet start getting seriously wet turn right and follow the towpath upstream for 4 minutes.

Camping. Yes though I would suggest a small tent as it would be hard work with a 4 person family tent, camp kitchen, etc.

Dogs. Yes, hopefully my idiot dog can learn some boating skills from them.

Local accomodation. The village pub (8 min. walk from moorings) The Perch and Pike RG80JS has 4 rooms. 01491 872415 www.perchandpike.co.uk if the rooms are half as good as their beer why am i staying on the boat?
Post strimming I am checking out beers on your behalf its Breakspears plus a guest ale, all I can say is Oh Yes!

Thanks to Chris for his offer of help re the moorings but for an initial foray Andrew wanted it to ramp up softly so we dont upset the landowner. Nothing against you Chris just trying to please 3 masters here.
With the offers of various boats to ferry if required I shall bin the small dingy boat search although please be aware the moorings at Sheriden s may be occupied with customer boats. So there may be a few minutes delay picking you up.

Looking forward to the August meet all I think I need to do is turn up! All good fun though.
ken cattell
ken cattell
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Good work Ken, shame I cannot make it, maybe another day we will pop down Smile
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Great job Ken Smile Just make absolutely sure that beer is up to standard [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] you know what a fussy beggar I am with beer Wink 

There should also be a good selection the Breakspere's and Wychwood ales available from Anne's beer cellar, some wine for the ladies (although they are welcome to the beer if they wish Wink) and I suppose I'll bring some of that lager stuff to put in the fridge just in case 

Really looking forward to it, now all I have to do is make Anne look presentable for a stay opposite Sheridan's

Freeman 23 Anne is now sold [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:52 am

Well done Ken, appreciate your hard work. I agree with Pat, please ensure the beer has been fully tested,  I find it usually takes three pints at least! 
We are taking White Orchid down to Sheridan Marine next week, we have a weeks hard standing booked so that I can get her looking her best for the meet. We are really looking forward to the weekend and meeting people,  talking all things Freeman and generally having a chilled time.

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Meyer Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Damn, and after I'd gone down to the army surplus and bought one of these too [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] or do you think it might have been too much for Andrew? If there are only 5-6 bankside moorings are we planning to raft up, still not sure if we will make it by boat, but would have thought even if we don't there will be more than 6.

Chris Meyer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by ken cattell Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks for the thought Chris but having given up cigs.(for the moment?) the giant fag lighter may be a bit surplus though usefull as a oven lighter.
Going on the responses on this topic we are only expecting 5 boats so far, we are prepared to moor alongside, due to how hard it is finding a free length of mid Thames river bank with garunteed mooring space for the event.
ken cattell
ken cattell
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Meyer Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:31 am

okydoky, I have to say, in all honesty, I think our chances of getting there by boat are looking increasingly slim, whilst I am cracking on with the hard engineering side, my co-owner who is in charge of all things electrical has got at least 4-5 days work on the total rewire, and we will I think, need to resist the temptation to rush, especially since this refurb is intended to give the boat a lease of life that will hopefully see us out  Smile
PS bet it would get a BBQ going. Would still like to come up and meet other owners though, we used to make regular pilgrimages to SM for his club/charity days, "Jetinga" was often the lead boat in the sail past as she was normally the oldest boat there.  She was No 57, vedette engined.  Now going seriously off topic though.

Chris Meyer
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's a shame 
But it'll be good to put some faces to usernames however you get there Smile

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm

ken cattell wrote:Going on the responses on this topic we are only expecting 5 boats so far
Ken, have you counted Tony Tugboats?

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by ken cattell Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 am

No I would of thoughtwe may of seen some evidence here if any members were intending to take up his very good offer.

ken cattell
ken cattell
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:13 am

It seems nobody has Sad but Tony will be bringing his own boat I believe

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:33 am

Just to ensure everyone has the correct loction, this is the postcode for the nearest house RG8 0JL
Follow Ferry Lane to the river and go through the gate on the right Smile

The link below should show you the location of the gate on Google maps
South Stoke, Oxfordshire
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/South+Stoke,+Oxfordshire/@51.5493543,-1.1447914,284m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x487697b4e6d529b1:0xc285f9419d167525
Follow the river north and you'll see the raft of Freemans always moored outside Sheridan's

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 pm

We have moorings .... Nice job Ken [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Taken today from the visitor moorings at Sheridan

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Fri May 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Dermot...I misread your post

Did you get hold of Tony? 
If not I can drop him a line on your behalf and give him your email address. It would be great to see you at Moulsford Smile

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Freeman Forum - Thames meet - Page 3 Empty Thames Meet Update #2

Post by ken cattell Sun May 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Went to the meet site yesterday and re-strimmed the moorings,expanded the bankside bit to give a bit more room. Looks good but will give it another strim before the meet. Locals are thanking me for giving them a nice riverside picnic area!

I have made a number of signs to put up roadside in South Stoke to guide in those coming by road. Just look out for the "@Freeman" burgee.

Please would all attendees by whatever means please pm me with your boat/car info and numbers in your party. its been a while since the original proposals and respone and some folks may of had to change plans. Just so we can get a confirmed number and make sure all is as ready as you would like it.
I can also give you my phone number which may prove useful when the gps fails en route, last minuete questions or some other crisis.

Looking forward to seeing you all.
ken cattell
ken cattell
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Mon May 11, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi Ken thanks for the hard work you are putting in. Our boat is currently at Sheridan Marine and I can see the moorings you have prepared for us, they look spot on. Had a long chat with Andrew today and he is pleased that we are setting up for future mooring opportunities provided all goes well. I am confident that he will put in an appearance at some point over the weekend
In response to your request for details we will be arriving on site in our  Freeman  24 and our party will consist of two adults and one well behaved dog
Thanks again for your hard work. Cheers

Last edited by sneddie on Tue May 12, 2015 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Mon May 11, 2015 10:19 pm

I can't make the Thames meet.... Crying or Very sad

But.. could someone print off this thread ....  

https://freeman-cruisers.forumotion.co.uk/t91-tracing-the-history-of-my-boat-i-didn-t-expect-to-find-this?highlight=history

.. and if you get the chance.... ask Andrew to see if he can fill in any gaps... or at least confirm my detective work???

... and if he fancies a weekend in Cambridgeshire on the boat.... he only has to ask..... (Sheriden do have gift vouchers don't they???)
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Mon May 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Shame you can't make it Sad

I'll make sure there's a copy there in one form or another Smile

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Dermot Sun May 17, 2015 1:35 pm

Prof Pat Pending wrote:Dermot...I misread your post

Did you get hold of Tony? 
If not I can drop him a line on your behalf and give him your email address. It would be great to see you at Moulsford Smile
Hi Pat,

Sorry for the late reply.  I did manage to get hold of Tony but he is fully booked.  I'm debating whether to come by car for one or two of the days.  Will you all be there for the whole weekend?

Dermot

Dermot
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sun May 17, 2015 5:49 pm

That's a shame Dermot Sad

Wer're planning to arrive Saturday morning, stay overnight and play sunday by ear. If people are still around we may hang about, if not we'll probably move off Sunday Afternoon. 

@ken Cattell, @Sneddie what are your plans?

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Sun May 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Our plans were to arrive Friday afternoon and stay for the weekend if others are going to be around. Is it possible to establish just who intends attending,  whether by boat or car and for how long. Based on this info we can then make plans but our intention at this stage is to make a full bank holiday weekend of it.

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Sun May 17, 2015 10:40 pm

Hopefully Ken has a list....Ken?

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by sneddie Sun May 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi Ken how are things for the weekend shaping up? Is there anything I can do to help. We are at home until Wednesday morning but are then returning to the boat at Abingdon, pumping out, buying gas and fuel and then making our way to Moulsford over Thursday and Friday. I am assuming that we will be able to cross over from the moorings that you have prepared to Sheridan Marine to fill the water tank.  Looking forward to meeting you.

sneddie
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by ken cattell Mon May 18, 2015 1:05 am

Thanks Sneddie,,
Meet wise I think??everything is in hand, I'm hoping to go over to the mooring for a final strim Monday late afternoon and place some reserved mooring markers on the bank.
The road signs are done and I will set them out on Friday when I get to the moorings, (setting out from Inglesham Wednesday morning). I have a tarp type shelter to erect to use as a gathering point as we may or may not be lucky with the weather.
Replies come in slowly regarding attendees.
All in all on track I fancy.
Boat wise found I had a leaking roof fitting on Friday night,, the river was lowered at to leave me high and dry Saturday morming above St. Johns lock and my own mooring was strimmed leaving my boat looking like a floating compost heap whilst I have had to endure pre permit work on the plane this weekend, (always a fraught time).
Roll on next weekend.
ken cattell
ken cattell
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next