@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freeman 27, Resto-mod.

5 posters

Go down

Freeman 27, Resto-mod. Empty Freeman 27, Resto-mod.

Post by Amadeusm38 Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Thoughts?
Have owned around 15 motor boats of various types and size. Now looking for something to "play around with".
I have owned 3 Freemans previously; Freeman 30 (Mad Hatter) aft cockpit wooden superstucture. Freeman 32 (soft top centre cockpit) and finally Freeman 33 (Four Ferrets) one of 2 low windscreen boats built with smaller engines and low bridge capability.
Trying to find an original F27 with single diesel or petrol. Original gel coat and interior more or less as it left the factory.
The thought is to "modernise" the interior fit, sympathetically. LED lighting, new flush mounted hob and oven with Corian worktop. Same work top in the loo. New upholstery throughout with modern materials and a revised cockpit with "U" shaped aft cockpit seating and hi/lo helm and navigator seats. Emphasis on comfort. It would also be nice to go for a hybrid adaption of the engine. The latter may be a cost too far at around £10k.
Well aware that it won't be cost effective but the end result should be the best of the Freeman tradition but brought up to date. A bit like John putting 2 x Nanni engines in Drumbeat.

If anyone knows of such an original Freeman 27, please let me know. Currently on the trail of Lady Blanche in Bedford.

Amadeusm38
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Freeman 27, Resto-mod. Empty Re: Freeman 27, Resto-mod.

Post by Jed Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:33 pm

If you are going to modernise it you might want to add a sovereign 27 to your search list. Same shell. Different internally.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jed
Jed
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 pm

I know Four Ferrets, lovely boat Smile 

It sounds like an interesting project. I’m in the process of updating a 33 Sport, not going quite as far as you and I’ll probably have to do it in stages, but just awaiting the quote for the cabin upholstery before I start working the cockpit.

Freeman 23 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is now sold [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnR Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Amadeusm38 wrote:Thoughts?
Have owned around 15 motor boats of various types and size. Now looking for something to "play around with".
I have owned 3 Freemans previously; Freeman 30 (Mad Hatter) aft cockpit wooden superstucture. Freeman 32 (soft top centre cockpit) and finally Freeman 33 (Four Ferrets) one of 2 low windscreen boats built with smaller engines and low bridge capability.
Ah, the Four Ferrets. My dream boat right now. Might even motor past it tomorrow!

JohnR
Sub Lieutenant

http://runnerduck.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Freeman 27, Resto-mod. Empty Four Ferrets

Post by Amadeusm38 Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:22 pm

I bought Four Ferrets from John Ferret’s widow in the early 2000’s. He had owned it from close to new and looked after it wonderfully. He refused to deface the woodwork inside for anything and as a result it was near perfect with the satin finish varnish. Externally, she had suffered a little in the 2 years between his death and my purchase. The family could not bear to part with it.
Interestingly, it was through a mutual friend, Drumbeat, that we were able to purchase.
Apart from new carpets, we just needed a bit of elbow grease to recover the exterior shine and replacement of cockpit upholstery and a new hood from Jeckells.
We have fond memories and revelled in Re-visiting the Thames above Oxford.
I was delighted to hear from Drumbeat that she still looks good today.
She really is the inspiration for my current thoughts. A conversion to soft top with folding screen is also a possibility. The NYA website  shows an interesting soft top Sovereign 27. Hmmmm!

Amadeusm38
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:27 pm

There used to be a 27 at Abingdon with folding screens. The hard top was on 4 gas struts that allowed it to lift and then swing back over the rear bench seat.
Looking from the outside, you couldn’t really tell, until you got closer, when you could see the struts.
I never saw it leave the marina, so no idea how practical it was

Freeman 23 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is now sold [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:14 am

Should be a nice project, love the last of the Sovereign 27's which has a little of what you are going for. This one sold recently and was beautiful...

RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Prof Pat Pending Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Have you seen this one Question

Prof Pat Pending
Prof Pat Pending
Admiral

Back to top Go down

Freeman 27, Resto-mod. Empty Thanks

Post by Amadeusm38 Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:02 pm

It does look nice and a boat I knew from a few years back on the Thames. In some ways, too nice to mess around with modifications.
Looked at one this morning on the Avon near Evesham named Leonel. Converted to soft top, but only after damaging the hard top on a bridge. Quite an extensive list of repairs. Sadly being sold by the widow and the boat was pretty green outside and the cockpit needed complete Re panelling. Interior wood work was pretty decent and am sure for someone with more skill than I have will make a nice boat. Twin Watermota Sea Tigers, petrol. Hmmmm. Really only wanted a single to then upgrade with modern diesel. Just too much money to spend for my requirements. Asking price is very sensible and open to offers. Pretty sure the widow wants it gone.

Amadeusm38
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:21 pm

That's near me for sale through Evesham marina. Did briefly consider having a look as know the marina owner as I usually overwinter there. But don't want twin petrols. Looked tidy in the photos but on a boat they can be very decieving.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down