@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter blues

+5
Liberty
bigscale
RichK
molemot - RIP
robdalej
9 posters

Go down

Winter blues Empty Winter blues

Post by robdalej Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Just been up to have a look at the boat, looking quite sad for itself, no electricity hook up , so batteries probablyflat , can't run engine as antifreezed,  inside cabin freezing cold but , surprisingly,  dry , checked inside bilge , all dry in there , so that's good, only another 2 ? Months I hope

robdalej
Midshipman

http://robdalej'gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Winter blues Empty Re: Winter blues

Post by molemot - RIP Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

If you have the master switch OFF, then the batteries are probably fine. Trilly's batteries sit there happily doing nothing for months at a time.... I nearly went on board her today, but the rain was too discouraging!!

molemot - RIP
Freeman Laureate RIP

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:45 am

My batteries after the winter layoff have always been fine. Only thing I do is turn master switches off and pull fuse for the auto bilge pump as ashore. About mid march I take batteries home and give them a trickle charge to top up.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Checked  my boat today after all the floods and she was ok no water, canopy still intact and batteries reading ok,  got off and went home feeling happy
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

http://bigscale@btibternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I find a good way to banish winter boar blues is to take a few small jobs home..... however small it lets me think I'm working towards the summer.
PS, it was still daylight at 5pm tonight.... we are getting there
Liberty
Liberty
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by GAVSY Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 am

Don't think I can last.................  come on March !!!! , I need to be back on my Freeman now ,I'm sick of doing jobs around the house Captain

GAVSY
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by robdalej Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am

Same here , nearly deantifreezed it last weekend, glad I didn't now!

robdalej
Midshipman

http://robdalej'gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I find unscrewing bits and varnishing them at home therapeutic. Plus u can do it properly and build up the coats without rushing it. Shame I can’t apply this to the big static bits of wood though! Eg I got a lovely fuse door on a tatty bulkhead! Anyway my daffs are out and the birds are tweeting away so it must be spring!

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Certainly will be winter blues this year, cleared boat out ready for craning off and mooring/hardstanding all paid up till April so will sit back and evaluate what to do with her (the boat that is Smile ) in Spring. Lost a bit of enthusiasm since being stolen and having to move from a lovely pub mooring by our house. Even though she is running better than ever something is missing, wifes health hasn't helped and last month or more all I've really done is pop down every week or so and turn engine over and clean her. In no rush to sell as wrong time of the year for a fair price so will renew the BSS before next season, no real winter maintenance needed this winter and see if the spark returns.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:07 pm

It’s SAD time of year Rich. Wet, dark evenings and clocks about to go back. I just read what I wrote above about taking bits off and varnishing them at home. That’s the key...keep busy and spring will soon be here. More importantly though, look after your wife.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:10 pm

I saw on Facebook that chap in Corsica on his F24. He pays the same mooring fees as me. Bet they don’t get SAD syndrome over there!?

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:09 pm

I know what you are saying so will see,  looked at possibly bringing boat back to our pub but fence had been broke with looks like someone trying to get onto the moorings so can't really risk going back and new landlord on on a 3 month lease so could be empty by next Spring which is the problem as end of a quiet lane. I've literally got no winter work to do on the boat apart from Spring prep, antifoul etc. You know there's something wrong when you dont get overly excited like we used to be going to the boat.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Jed Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your wife. Maybe a new project is needed. I know after selling my 23 that I couldn't improve anymore that the replacement boat filled the restless gap for me. Maybe a nice 26 that needs tlc. I am sure a new mooring will pop up .
Jed
Jed
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Cheers Jed, maybe a winter project, did see a lovely Chevy 3100 pickup for sale at an American car show last week but wife put her foot down this time after i came home with an Mx5 a while back  Neutral
Not going to rush a sale as know i will regret it.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by MrGrumpy Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:14 pm

well my spare room is full of all the cushions and curtains of the Dragonfly 
gearbox and carb on the bench in the shed ready to get rebuilt 
got the interior to repaint ( paint suggestions appreciated ) couple of cracks  in the fibreglass floor and the rubbing strakes to tidy up and need to split the output on the diesel heater because there is a condensation trap at the foot of the bed 
Quit my  job and moved onto her at the end of May lived there until this morning .... Few months  and il be dying to get back on the lake

MrGrumpy
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down