@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

freeman 22 mk2

+3
BotleyBouy
RichK
bigscale
7 posters

Go down

freeman 22 mk2 Empty freeman 22 mk2

Post by bigscale Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

First trip out sunday got back today wednesday started of from huntingdon arrived at St Neots about 20.00 hrs had a few beers and a meal at the weatherspoon great value,got up monday morning turn on ignition nothing well not being mechanical minded called out the rcr for the first time along came pat a great fellow and eventually found the brand new ignition and packed up.He wired up the solenoid two wires one in a choc block and she started up straight away  and we carried on our journey to bedford moored at a couple of hotels one had a wedding going with flame dancers and lots of other things and me thinking i could buy a freeman 30 with the amount of money that cost,anyway it was a great journey and when the sun came out i was in love with my boat again 
ps ordered a lucas ignition on the monday should be here tomorrow or friday have i defeated the gremlins at last i doubt it
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

http://bigscale@btibternet.com

Back to top Go down

freeman 22 mk2 Empty Re: freeman 22 mk2

Post by RichK Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Which part of the ignition packed up, key switch ?
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 pm

"He wired up the solenoid two wires one in a choc block "

sounds like the solenoid.
you can turn ignition on and just short the high tension sides to fire the starter.
The moving core switch can seize.
On the original ones you could press a button on the top which manually moved the core switch....used to be useful in cars as you could fire the engine with your head under the bonnet.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 pm

bigscale wrote:....eventually found the brand new ignition and packed up.....ps ordered a lucas ignition on the monday should be here tomorrow or friday have i defeated the gremlins at last i doubt it

I think you'll find "Lucas" is actually 卢卡斯. When you fit your new one be prepared for the next failure by keeping an eye on eBay or going to auto-jumbles for an old classic car ignition switch off a Ford, MG or Triumph or similar. Like these...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ideally you take an AVO with you to an auto jumble and test before you buy. If you don't know how, find someone to show you. It's dead easy. Second hand old Lucas stuff is far superior to the Chinese replicas.

Don't worry if it hasn't got a key. Just make sure it's cheap and has a number stamped on it. Keys are readily available for these old locks. Although an electrical screwdriver works just as well  Very Happy

BotleyBouy
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:07 am

i could start it from the solenoid button no trouble but not ideal when in a lock i am no expert just a novice the way he wired it up turn on the ignition put the to wires together and away she went.I suppose the way things are made these days lucas or not everything a gamble  all one can do is pay up and hope for the best but the sun shone wednesday a bottle off speckled hen and all troubles faded away.Seen oliver he is going to fit new ignition and i will have another trip
ps i am seventy six and i was pleasantly surprised how many seventy to eighty were on the river on their own  goes to show your never to old  i can still do all the locks climb down deep lock ladders for which i am grateful
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:54 am

Newton's first law of inertia! The secret is not to stop but keep going! Good stuff!

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:06 pm

BotleyBouy wrote:
bigscale wrote:....eventually found the brand new ignition and packed up.....ps ordered a lucas ignition on the monday should be here tomorrow or friday have i defeated the gremlins at last i doubt it

I think you'll find "Lucas" is actually 卢卡斯. When you fit your new one be prepared for the next failure by keeping an eye on eBay or going to auto-jumbles for an old classic car ignition switch off a Ford, MG or Triumph or similar. ...Second hand old Lucas stuff is far superior to the Chinese replicas.....Don't worry if it hasn't got a key. Just make sure it's cheap and has a number stamped on it. Keys are readily available for these old locks. .......

QED...

I also picked up two spare keys for a fiver. So compared to the cost of the lock and one key I was obviously ripped off  Laughing

BotleyBouy
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 am

bargain but i have the new lucas ignition and must say the quality feel seems good we will see
`also the rcr is great value for money would not be without now just renewed
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisansc61 Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:54 am

Hi
My Freeman 22 has a missing alternator.. The engine is a BMC Vedette Petrol engine .I cannot locate any engine numbers .Can some one advise me which alternator to buy ? I believe it is a right hand one .Thanks Chris

Chrisansc61
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisansc61 Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:58 am

Chrisansc61
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 am

It was probably fitted with a dynamo originally but there's no reason why it couldn't have been replaced with an alternator at some time, or no reason why you couldn't do that now. 

There's plenty of info on the 'net about how to do that. Try Powerlite ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for a replacement unit and advice. Tell them it's for a BMC 'A' series engine (eg Morris Minor) and they'll know what you're looking for.

Alternators are cheaper than dynamos. So there's another good reason to modernise.

BotleyBouy
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by chris w Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 pm

If you don't know what was fitted preveiously you might not have  mounting brackets for an alternator so it might be better to buy a kit like this. http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shop_item.php?ID=2545 when I did mine I disposed of the voltage regulator if you have't got one it's proberly had an alternator fitted in the past.
chris w
chris w
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:05 am

Off topic, but from your photo I wonder if I detect a very useful starting-handle dog (itself out of sight) top left? And can I ask what the black plastic drain-pipe is for, at the bottom of pic?

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrisansc61 Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks Steve 
I will Take your advice ? What handle .. and the plastic pipe not sure what that is doing there i have been concentrating on the cosmetic side of the boat .
hehe
I will have a look tomorrow and let you know?
Thanks Again
Chris

Chrisansc61
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:30 pm

When you bought this boat you had no idea what an adventure it was going to be! A kind of hidden added value! What's this and what's that and all harmless fun, and you never know - perhaps the start of a lifetime occupation. (Boating I mean, not sorting yours! lol)

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:29 am

On a Morris the generator is on the RHS...so under the manifold....same with carb. Normally distributor isn't on LHS, but yours seems to be aft of the engine.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down