@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anchor

+2
Stephen
Oundlefreeman
6 posters

Go down

Anchor Empty Anchor

Post by Oundlefreeman Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:45 am

Morning Freeman experts! My 22 mk2's anchor chain is not attached. The chain is sitting under the bow and the anchor is lying on top of the bow unattached. I think having an anchor will come in handy if I choose to stop for a short while in between mooring points (to make cuppa, fish, have lunch etc). I think that it will be more effective attached to the side of the boat and manually dropped/pulled up, rather than using the chain at the bow. Does anyone see any issues with this idea? I can't think of any, but I am very much still a "newbie".

Cheers

Tom

Oundlefreeman
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Anchor Empty Re: Anchor

Post by Stephen Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm

A boat swings around a bit 'at anchor'. I don't think you want your chain sliding around and chafing any of your paint or gelcoat, and hence running it over the bow roller could be best. And of course it needs to be attached, deep down inside the bow via the chain pipe tube. 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Have you seen these useful pages?
To access where perhaps it was already once secured you need to get behind the panel at the very front of your interior V-berth area. Hopefully a means of securing is already there and of course its where the chain drops down for storage. In practice you still have to stand over it to lower the anchor or haul it up. The bow roller is more of a rest than a roller! Unless, incredibly, your Freeman has a winch! And you may have heard it is the drag on the chain itself on the bottom that keeps the boat in position and not so much the anchor. The boat will move away from where you dropped the anchor in and then hopefully drift to where you want to be!
Actually when I am moored as you describe I also drop in fact a folding anchor that I already had, or any mud-weight on a rope, over the side at the stern and secured to the mooring cleat, that then stops the boat swinging under bankside brambles, bush or tree, if close to the side. But you're on a wide-open Broad, and I'm only on a river!

Last edited by Stephen on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 pm

If you are on the Broads, an anchor is not much use, you need a mudweight on a rope.
The several feet of mud on the Broads precludes an anchor which wouldn't get a bite. A mudweight on the other hand sinks into the mud and even a small one ( 4-6 kg) will be sufficient and there are times where even that will be difficult to raise due to suction.
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Oundlefreeman Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Stephen wrote:A boat swings around a bit 'at anchor'. I don't think you want your chain sliding around and chafing any of your paint or gelcoat, and hence running it over the bow roller could be best. And of course it needs to be attached, deep down inside the bow via the chain pipe tube. 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Have you seen these useful pages?
To access where perhaps it was already once secured you need to get behind the panel at the very front of your interior V-berth area. Hopefully a means of securing is already there and of course its where the chain drops down for storage. In practice you still have to stand over it to lower the anchor or haul it up. The bow roller is more of a rest than a roller! Unless, incredibly, your Freeman has a winch! And you may have heard it is the drag on the chain itself on the bottom that keeps the boat in position and not so much the anchor. The boat will move away from where you dropped the anchor in and then hopefully drift to where you want to be!
Actually when I am moored as you describe I also drop in fact a folding anchor that I already had, or any mud-weight on a rope, over the side at the stern and secured to the mooring cleat, that then stops the boat swinging under bankside brambles, bush or tree, if close to the side. But you're on a wide-open Broad, and I'm only on a river!

Thanks Stephen. I hadn't considered the potential for damage caused by the chain, so I agree with you, the bow roller does seem like the best option. I've already located the storage area at the end of the v-berth. I like your idea about the second folding anchor/mud-weight on a rope from stern. 

I'm on the river Nene, so it's not massively wide. Thanks for your advice.

Tom

Oundlefreeman
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

My mistake, somehow got the impression you were on the Norfolk Broads. Blame Stephen !!
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Oundlefreeman Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 pm

F23 flittermouse wrote:My mistake, somehow got the impression you were on the Norfolk Broads. Blame Stephen !!

Haha! No problem. Still appreciate the help  Very Happy

Oundlefreeman
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I made the guess because of the name! Blame my dodgy geography. Confused Oundle with Oulton. Sorry!

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Also consider an anchor as a safety aid incase of engine failure etc, more so where i am with plenty of weirs around.
RichK
RichK
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Oundlefreeman Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:48 pm

RichK wrote:Also consider an anchor as a safety aid incase of engine failure etc, more so where i am with plenty of weirs around.

Yep, good point, thanks. I've had engine failure once and was able to drift to the bank and hop off with a rope. I can imagine being dragged towards a weir is pretty scary!

Oundlefreeman
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 pm

Re engine failure: something peeps might not think about at the moment ... Stick boat in gear and use the starter motor to turn the prop and drive you weakly to the bank and safety (and possible save some loss of face as well!). The worst that can happen is you could flatten the battery which might not really matter.

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 pm

How should the anchor warp be secured in the chain locker? Mine is tied to a block of wood to stop it running out of the chain pipe. It seems a bit crude to be correct but thee is no obvious securing point, or have I missed something?

BotleyBouy
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 am

Not answering your question (because I've forgotten exactly how my chain is attached) but your 'system' has charming simplicity and adds three feet to the chain's otherwise effective length!

Stephen
Lieutenant Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 am

On mine there is a little anchor chrome point screwed to the woodwork by the opening. It's original but not man enough to hold the boat should the rope all run out. Your piece of wood is probably safer. Not that you will need it on the grand union.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum