Misfiring Watermota crossflow.

Go down

Misfiring Watermota crossflow.

Post by Absolut on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:27 pm

I have stripped and cleaned the Formoco carb three times because I was having problems with no tickover and needing choke open to run. Ticks over perfectly now and ran well until yesterday when it started to run rough when the throttle is opened. Ticker is fine but what is happening. Do I really need to clean the jets again and again. I fitted a new filter recently.

Absolut
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Re: Misfiring Watermota crossflow.

Post by Prof Pat Pending on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:53 pm

I would look at the idle mixture.

If it ticks over and throttle up we’ll when out of gear, but sound like it will stall when coming off tickover when the engine is under load, it’s a good indication that the mixture is lean.

Not sure about your carb, but on mine, there is an adjuster screw for this.

Prof Pat Pending
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Sounds like it could be fuel starvation. Do you have an in-line fuel filter? If you have, and it is one you can open up, have a look to see if it is contaminated. If you don't have one then I'd recommend putting one in, especially f you have a steel tank as it is all too easy for rust particles to get into the fuel system if you let the fuel level run low.

If you do open up the carb again, have a look at the bottom of the float bowl, any contamination will settle here.

Another thought. Have you checked the timing and the points gap?

And another one. Have you got a vacuum advance on your distributor? If you have it might be worth checking it's in place and working before you dismantle anything.

BotleyBouy
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Absolut on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Will check each one soon as. Thanks

Absolut
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm

If it’s fomoco then it’s probably a Ford copy of the Weber single Venturi.
When you stripped it did you check the small filter behind the float jet needle valve? 
I don’t agree that it’s anything to do with idle mixture since your issue is when throttle butterfly is open so volume control screw no longer in play. 
When it splutters I would switch off and check float level. Also check float is correctly adjusted. If fuel in float down Check fuel pump. Finally this could be ignition so check everything B.B. has indicated... especially timing.
You can’t adjust your carb to make it leaner or richer...but check plugs anyway to see the colour. Tappet clearances are important too. If it is lean then air could be bypassing carb...could be do many things! I say all this having just had similar experience on the car and it was timing adjustment that solved for me..but that was after checking practically everything else!

Minerva
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 pm

By the way the original F23 only have 2 filters. One in fuel pump and in line behind needle valve. The fuel pump filters debri from tank and in line only filters anything from pump to float chamber..which in reality only clogs if your diaphragm is deteriorating.
Replacement fuel pumps have no filter in them so folk put one in the fuel line before the pump.
So as B.B. says. Check the in line. If it’s blocked then change your pump diaphragm because it’s a sign it’s deteriorated. It’s 50:50 though whether this is ignition or fuel issue though

Minerva
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by BotleyBouy on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Before you start dismantling stuff it's also worth checking the air filter is clean. If this is blocked it would cause the symptoms you describe and you'll also get a strong smell of petrol and smoke as you try to accelerate. Just take the filter off and see if it makes a difference. If it does, clean the filter element and see what happens. If not, tick this off and move on.

NB. Another easy thing to check; is the choke is coming off fully?

BotleyBouy
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down