@Freeman Cruisers Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23

+3
F23 flittermouse - RIP
krodgers
bigscale
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23 Empty Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm

I have put an article in the 'Publications' tab on the above subject

Link to Article   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some pictures during installation added here[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23 Empty Re: Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23

Post by bigscale Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 am

Very nice Derek should keep the rain off
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

http://bigscale@btibternet.com

Back to top Go down

Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23 Empty Re: Fitting a NEW Nauticover canopy to a F23

Post by krodgers Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am

That's great. I just received my new canopy from Nauticover yesterday, so perfect timing for me.

krodgers
Officer Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I am going to get one of these for Lady Colleen. At £745 for a navy PVC it's too good not to do. She's got a hard top at the moment and I'm a sun worshipper. I will leave the hard top struts in place and put a cross member in to emulate the original front hoop that's been removed.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:35 am

Nauticover say they don't have a template for a F26. Has anyone got an old F26 canopy in their lock up?

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Minerva wrote:Nauticover say they don't have a template for a F26. Has anyone got an old F26 canopy in their lock up?
That's strange ! they have a price in their list. How can they price it if they don't know what its like !!!!
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Derek, basically they don’t have a template for the F26. If I had a cover to send them it would be no problem for them to copy, but I am replacing a hard top so it’s a problem. If they were a bit nearer I would take the hard top and covers off and run the lot down there.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Does anyone know a source of the original Freeman canopy material?

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by SNAPPER101 Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:51 am

Hi.  These Covers from Nauticover, I am assuming that they may have a templete for a mk22. 
I am very tempted to get one, but I have noticed on many freemans that the pram metal work, seems to be so different. Our rear pram section is almost vertical, were others are more angled , similar to Dereks . So I wonder what template they cater for, and it maybe be the case that you alter the pram structure to suit the cover. I prefer my design, as it gives more head room in the cockpit. I will have to phone them, as there price is very good.
I certainly is on my shopping list, as it makes the boat look really smart.

SNAPPER101
Sub Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 am

Nauticover need u to send them old old hood. They just copy it. 
That's why I have a problem since I am replacing a hard top so I have no hood to send them. 
They do have some original Freeman templates but not for the F26.
I got some quotes from others and it's looking like £2 to £3k which is too much for s boat worth £6k. 
So I am thinking of getting some material and seeing a replacement for just the hard area. 
I looked on eBay for vinyl pvc material but can't find a good source.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:09 am

A bit far away but msybe worth a call ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Thanks Derek. I might keep the hard top for now but cut a nice big rectangular hole in it above the helm seat, border it off and cover with pvc and press studs. I would like a new canopy but the prices are IMO too high. I would have gone for a nauticover like yours but they had no template and really were not that interested in finding any way around the issue. I rang sheridan too but they don't seem to have any off the shelf hoods anymore!
The supplier pat recommended wanted £2600 plus vat. That's half the value of the boat and I haven't even given the engines a thrash yet so can't justify it.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnR Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Try Mac Hoods. 01628 483411 or 07763 943098. Colin McClenn or his son Josh.
They will measure on site, supply a new header rail, bend new frames, and make the hood to whatever you want.

For my 22 Mk2, total including slider kit and S/S frames, blinds for the inside and a new header was £1000. (But he was doing two others on the same site at the same time!)

JohnR
Sub Lieutenant

http://runnerduck.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm

JohnR wrote:For my 22 Mk2, total including slider kit and S/S frames, blinds for the inside and a new header was £1000. (But he was doing two others on the same site at the same time!)
That sounds extremely reasonable price for that amount of work, do you have contact details (location ) to share and perhaps some photographs ?
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Minerva wrote:Nauticover need u to send them old old hood. They just copy it. 
I've never disputed that Rupert, in fact l believe I said that from the beginning.

On mine I was able to send the old ( l had an even older spare to use ). They cut it to get the developed shape.
 I requested an inch or two extra on the size as the old had shrunk, l also got them for a nominal sum to sew back together the old one as a winter cover and return with the new canopy.
The only problem l had was l wish the overlaps at the zips had been an inch wider. When l metioned it Phil sent me some snap fixing to add, but l never used them in the end.
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Derek, yes you have always said that re template. I was just reiterating it in reply to Alan's question. Machoods can make the original F canopy, but he is pretty busy. He quoted me £1700 for a f26 which is not bad compared to the competition. That's for a standard vinyl pvc original job. I can't remember whether that was with or without vat as it was last September when he quoted.

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnR Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Mac Hoods are in Cookham, but will travel to wherever the boat is.

JohnR
Sub Lieutenant

http://runnerduck.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tedison Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:36 am

F23 flittermouse wrote:
Minerva wrote:Nauticover say they don't have a template for a F26. Has anyone got an old F26 canopy in their lock up?
That's strange ! they have a price in their list. How can they price it if they don't know what its like !!!!
Flittermouse did you send your old canopy off to them? They have a pattern for F23 but have requested that I send mine.  Surely they are all from the same pattern.

Tedison
Midshipman

Back to top Go down

Post by Minerva Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:47 pm

No they are not all the same unfortunately.  Lots of folk chopped the aft hoop and fitted it to slider. It’s very rare nowadays to see an original F23 canopy on original brown painted copper hoops as they were a bit of a struggle to climb in and out with the way that they were!!!!

Minerva
Rear Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:07 pm

See my earlier post a few messages back and my article

I did sent my old one in and as they unstitch parts asked them to put it together again to use as a winter cover ( which is still on until I can visit again)
Minerva's right, they can be lots of variation as people make frame adjustments over the last 50 years or so.
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Well Derek this time I come to praise Caesar, I contacted Phil at Nauticover and have ordered a new canopy very helpful hopefully the end of May thank you for the contact
what is the best Canvas or PVC
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

Jed likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:22 pm

fOUND OUT CANVAS IS BEST SO CANVAS IT IS
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:56 pm

bigscale wrote:fOUND OUT CANVAS IS BEST SO CANVAS IT IS

Mine is acrylic canvas too so good choice. Are they lending you the hole cutter ( returnable deposit still ?) Well worth it. They also sent me the offcutts which were some useful sized pieces.
The only gripe I had they were a bit mean on the flaps covering the zips, you may like to ask Phil to make them possibly a bit wider ?

I hope you will be happy with your canopy I still am with mine, had to clean and reproof mine this year ( Renovo cleaner and canvas proofer) and it has come up well.
Derek
F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by bigscale Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:29 pm

MY CANOPY IS BUNGY CONNECTION PHIL SAID THEY WOULD COME WITH CANOPY
bigscale
bigscale
Commodore

Back to top Go down

Post by F23 flittermouse - RIP Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Even on the stern coaming ? Unusual !
I mean the turnbuton eyelets along the area marked green for example in the picture.which Nauticover leave you to install as there's no consistency in the spacing normally.

F23 flittermouse - RIP
F23 flittermouse - RIP
Vice Admiral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next